Friday, June 6, 2008

Shotgun weddings are depressing

Jon and I drove down to San Antonio last weekend to go to an old classmate of mine's wedding (Jon didn't go to the wedding itself). I've known this guy for nearly nine years (since Germany), and I've always known he was the type of person who couldn't stand to be alone, even if that meant lowering his expectations.



Well, he got the bride knocked up, before he even intended for her to be his bride. I'm not so old-fashioned that I frown on pre-marital sex or even pre-marital pregnancy, but I don't think that should be the reason why two people get married, especially if it's obvious that the bride-to-be causes some thick tension with the groom's family. So much so, that during the married couple's first dance, the groom's mom got up and left for the girls' room, conveniently arriving back just as the song was ending.



I love the groom's parents. Love them. Always have--they're great people. It upsets me that after they left, the bride stormed outside behind the church (funny they got married in a church--they're Wiccan) and started yelling and venting all of her frustrations about the groom's mother to a few bridesmaids (using more than a few choice words).

It was pretty depressing. I'm sure the fact that it was a dry reception didn't help matters any. Ken (another friend from school) and I made the best of our soberness, and at one point I had to stop myself from yelling, "Jesus!" in alarm when a wall-hung candle holder fell off the wall (I remembered I was in a church just in the nick of time).

I hope things turn out well for them. The bride seemed nice enough...at least to the groom. Maybe it's just hormones?

The rest of the trip was fun though. Ken got a bottle of Patron for being a groomsman, so the first night, he, Jon and I drank a little bit and played some cards. I zonked out after my first drink. The next night after the wedding, we met the groom's family at Piedras Negras del Noche for some dinner, then went to the Riverwalk. It was nice to get away...even though there were little curlies on the floor of the hotel bathroom when we checked in.

4 comments:

Delaina Marie said...

I agree in the sense that marriage shouldn't be the answer to a pregnancy. I'm really hope things turn out well for your friend and he and his family live happy lives. On a funny note...Patron? You guys are hard core lol I can't do Tequila. Hope you had fun missy :)

ps
Thanks for complimenting my hair you didn't get to see the buzz cut in the back lol!

Suzanne said...

Hey!! Glad you found me :) I'm glad you thought the recipe looked good, it was AH-MAZING when I made it... I'd love that recipe you were talking about and any Mexican vanilla you have extra of...I LOVE Mexican vanilla, it's the best!! So, I have the Texas Caviar recipe typed up and I can email it to you if you like...just email me at suzannerwatts@yahoo.com and I'll respond with the recipe and any others you might like. I am about to post a cookie recipe that is officially the best cookie I've ever eaten...Ginger agreed, so it's not just me :)

UberK said...

That looks _delicious_

keratosis pilaris said...

shotgun weddings are depressing theres no need for them